Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Cold Brewed Coffee and Watermellon Chillers

Hello, everyone! The Fresh Pioneer is back and we're having friends over! It's almost the end of the hot season here and I want to be the hostess with the mostest, so I'm going to whip up some super  EASY and delicious COLD drinks. Let's go ahead and start.
 
A little picture to get you in the mood.

Now, I love coffee. Love, love, LOVE it. But when it hits 100F, I tend to look at that steaming cup with a different sort of feeling. I want to go to Starbucks and get me a cold granita. But it's 12 miles away, and it costs a lot of money. What's a girl to do??
She brews up some coffee and puts in the sweetener. (For me, this is sugar. Some of you can use the fake stuff or honey. Or nothing, if you're tough like that.)
Then we put it in the freezer, in a large bowl, for about 5 hours. (A good hostess plans ahead. If she remembers. And has fair warning. But we'll just assume all that, no?) Take a fork and drag over the coffee until it comes off in tiny, frozen chunks.
                                
 MMMM, now if you're a wuss like I am, you don't like it black. You need milk! Fat free condensed milk...  And you're ready!!

 Oh, wait. Your friend doesn't drink coffee?? It makes her stay awake all night? It gives her an ulcer? Reverse. Back to the freezer, where you have RASPBERRY HERBAL TEA frozen in its own little bowl. (Say after me, "I am the hostess with the mostest." Say it again... )
Repeat the process with the fork, except for the milk. Add slice of lime. (This was melting. And I got to drink that one, too! I love this food blog thing.)

NOW you're ready.

Oh, wait! You think the kids might like something, too? We can't just throw popsicles at them? Well, we ARE the hostesses with the... you know the rest. Good thing that last night we cut a watermelon. (It was a Hermiston, Oregon, melon, too. Award-winning YUM.)

We squished it up and did NOT ADD SUGAR.
Because the kids don't need it. They're crazy enough as it is.
For the parents, we added vodka. KIDDING. Let's keep this playdate running smoothly, eh?
It sat in the freezer all night, just waiting for the moment it could become... THIS.


Oh, man.

NOW
YOU'RE
READY!

Let's head outside!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment