Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Grab and Go, Quick Morning Egg Muffins

Hello, everybody! I have a quick/easy breakfast dish that may have shown up here before, but I'm not sure what it was called so... here we go! 
Breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person. But I've been trying to be more mindful of not just drinking four cups of coffee in the morning and calling it breakfast. It's not enough. And it makes me cranky. And cranky is bad.
 I think my aversion to breakfast food comes from the TIME it takes. The longer you take eating breakfast, the earlier you have to get out of bed. (See how that works?) And I'm all about the time I get to stay in bed. So, if I skipped breakfast, that meant I could stay in bed while all those crazy breakfast noshers were at the table.
 But that means by noon, everyone else is going strong and I'm about ready to crumple into a ball. So, in the interests of eating breakfast AND staying in bed, I've been looking for easy recipes that can be cooked the night before and then either warmed, or eaten cold. (And not pop tarts or cereals. That does nothing for me, Five minutes later, I'm hungry again. I'd rather have the five cups of coffee.)
So, here is some leftover hamburger meat with orange and red peppers, onions and garlic. You can make your Egg Muffins meatless, too. Just add mushrooms, green onions, red peppers, even olives. Anything you want. But I've found that it helps to sautee whatever it is for a few minutes because they won't thoroughly cook in the oven.

 Sprinkle on cheddar, mozzarella, or any other kind of cheese. These had pepper jack left over from another recipe.
For a single muffin tin, it takes about five eggs. Whisk together with 1/2 cups of milk and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I also added black pepper in thyme in mine because I like eggs with thyme or rosemary. Sprinkle a little more pepper jack or other cheese on top.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Let cool. Slide a knife around the edges and carefully lift. I was afraid these would stick to the pan but I think the cheese and meat have enough grease that they came out really easily. I made a triple batch and they were just as good the next day, when we took some to a picnic lunch in the park
I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to summer! Our Farmer's Market has opened and I'm feeling the need to cook a lot of fresh food. Or maybe it's the 105F heat. Either way, I can't wait to see what happens in my kitchen in the coming weeks!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment