Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Pinterest Fails (Chocolate Cupcake Pumpkins)

Hello, everybody!  The Fresh Pioneer is back and I've got some very cool projects here! We'll take it step by step. Ready? GOOD!

Get some pumpkins.
 
Drill some holes. Light some candles.
See? Totally easy!!!
Honestly, I love Pinterest but it drives me slightly batty. (harhar, get it?) Everything looks SO easy. And then.... reality.
How about PUMKIN CAKES??
 
So, I saw these cute little things.  Instructions and everything included, and I already had the ramekins. You know I love those little ceramic dishes. TOO FUN.
 So, we started with a mix. Note small children stirring the goop. Wheeeeee!
 
 

 Place goop in greased, floured ramekin until half full. Put it in the oven for 18-20 minutes. They're like giant cupcakes. You can check at 15, but mine were still raw in the center.
 Mix orange frosting. This may be where I started to go wrong.
 And green frosting. This one turned out better.
 My friend gave me these. Aren't they hilarious?? Salt and pepper shakers... Pillsbury style.
 She also had this awesome Pyrex bowl. I saw it on her porch, filled with water for her dog. I tactfully suggested she take that gorgeous piece of vintage cookware and put it in the kitchen. Ok, maybe not so tactfully. I might have been sobbing in distress. Anyway, my friend decided I should be the new owner of the dog bowl... I mean, vintage Pyrex (Amish butter press pattern). She also makes home made biscotti. She filled the bowl with it (AFTER washing it, in case you think she was getting revenge) and handed the whole kit and caboodle to me. *thrill*
 So, back to the mini pumpkin cakes.
 Slice the round parts off so it sits nicely.
 Uhhhhhhhh. I poured the frosting on.... And dripped on a bit of green for the top.
 At this point my kids are howling with laughter. We couldn't even think of anything it COULD have been... It's all starting to remind me of last year when I tried to make a fancy cake and it turned into the Frankencake. In case you need a refresher of that disaster, it's here.
So, it obviously wasn't working and I had no idea how to salvage it. Some say that cake is only a vehicle for the frosting.

Hm. What if.... we made a backwards cupcake? An anti-cupcake? An inverted cupcake? A.... puddle of frosting with cake on it?

So, this is what we ended up with and it was a huge hit! I love kids. They're so thrilled with anything. No matter how really odd it is. As long as it's chocolate cake with a fun color of frosting, they don't really care how it gets to them. It was pretty messy and I was glad no one actually tried to drink the frosting out of the bottom of the plate, but all in all, it will go down in our family history as yet another EXCITING fall craft.

 Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment