Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Marmalade Bread Pudding

Hello, everybody! I think we've done bread pudding here before but this is a fun twist on an old favorite. Warning- this is not diet food! This is something you make when you have twenty people coming and want a back up dessert. This is not the dish you make when you're going to be home alone all weekend. (Not that I've ever been home alone... in 16 years, but just in case! I'm reminding myself!)
So, our ingredients for the bread pudding:
one loaf of brioche (I was too lazy to make my own so I grabbed some sweet bread from the store)
5 eggs
2 cups milk
1 stick butter
1 cup good marmalade
Seasonings:
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Slice the bread thickly and lay in the dish.
Slice the butter and lay it on the bread. At this point I was thinking, "This can NOT be good for anybody." But I think that's the point, really.
Set oven at 350F.
Layer the bread, slightly overlapping, butter slices on top.
Mix milk, eggs, seasonings, and vanilla in a bowl.
Pour over the bread slices. Chill in the fridge for four hours, so the bread soaks up most of the liquid. And now at THIS point I was thinking, "This will never be edible." It looks like twenty bucks of fine ingredients wasted, honestly.
Bake the pudding for 40 minutes until everything is turning brown. Your house will smell delicious, btw. Now, spread on the marmalade and put it back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
Let it cool for five minutes and meanwhile, whip some cream to put on top.
The final product.... was AMAZING. I shared a slice with one of my older kids and it was truly the best way I've consumed worthless calories in a long time. A really incredible combo of spices, warm pudding, fresh cream, and unmistakable marmalade. Those are just not flavors you can fake.
We had guests over that night and the verdict was unanimous: a winning recipe! I think this will be a new yearly Christmas/ New Year tradition for our entertaining schedule. It was easy, unique, and great "holiday" flavors!

  I hope you all are having a wonderful end of the year! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment