Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Blackberry Cobbler

Helllooo, everybody!  I was recently forced out of my cave. Well, I was lured by a large mocha and the promise of some company in the kitchen. A friend told me she was coming. Just like that. I had no choice about the matter. I was going to have to actually brush my hair and put on a shirt without stains.
 (Okay, that's a slight exaggeration. I brushed my hair that morning.)
                                          
 Since we were out of bread and milk and peanut butter and all the other food that children live on, I went to the grocery store before she arrived. And there, I saw blackberries on sale! Score!
 When my college roommate visited a few years ago, she made Pioneer Woman Cooks blackberry cobbler and it lives in my memory as a dish of sugar-crusted perfection. She also gave me her cookbook, along with a picture of them together! Whoohooo! She's met Pioneer Woman!
Since we had everything we needed, we decided to throw it together while her boys and my kids were chasing each other around the house with mini laser guns. (Thanks, Christalee. I'll get even with you someday...)

 Ok, doubling this recipe because... you know... lots of people.
2 sticks (1/2 lb) of butter
2 1/2 cups sugar, and 4 TBS extra
2 cups self rising flour (or normal flour plus 1/2 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder per cup)
2 cups milk
2 cups fresh blackberries
 Mmmm. Sweet cocaine.
 Melt the butter and whisk in the flour and the sugar.
 Add the blackberries and sprinkle with sugar.
 Into the oven they go at 350F for one hour!
 This is about 30 minutes in, and they're starting to puff.
 This is about 45 minutes in to the cooking. About now, you can sprinkle the remaining 2 TBS sugar over each one. Or you can misread the directions and do it before they start cooking, like I did. Apparently it doesn't make much difference.
 MMMMM.
 The picture is fuzzy. Probably because I was elbowing kids out of the way so I could take the shot. Suddenly, everybody was in the kitchen!
 After it's cooled about 10-15 minutes you can dish some out and add any leftover berries. It was plenty sweet enough that it didn't need any vanilla ice cream, but PWC says you can add any toppings you so desire.
Closer, closer... YUM. This is probably the easiest recipe I know for a dessert and next time I'd like to try a peach version. Not sure how it will be but I'll keep you updated!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment